Job Posting – Legal Information and Access to Justice Coordinator
juillet 29, 2019
The Public Legal Information Association of NL (PLIAN) is inviting applications for the position of Legal Information and Access to Justice Coordinator.
The Legal Information and Access to Justice Coordinator will work out of PLIAN’s St. John’s office and report to the Executive Director of PLIAN. Their duties will include, but not be limited, to the following tasks:
- Answering legal information inquiries to PLIAN’s Legal Information Line via phone, email, and in person and providing referrals through PLIAN’s Lawyer Referral Service where requested.
- Conducting legal research to answer legal information inquiries from clients and to support the development of plain language legal information publications and presentations.
- Organizing, promoting, and facilitating pro bono legal clinics held in St. John’s and other locations throughout Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Supporting the Access to Justice Steering Committee of Newfoundland and Labrador, including planning meetings, preparing agendas, circulating information to members, and keeping minutes at bi-monthly meetings.
- Working with PLIAN staff to research, develop, write, and edit plain language legal publications and presentations on a variety of legal topics.
- Maintaining PLIAN’s social media accounts and updating PLIAN’s website on a regular basis
- Other duties as assigned by the PLIAN Executive Director or other PLIAN staff.
- Exceptional communication skills, professionalism, and ability to work independently
- Experience working with members of the public
- Knowledge of the Canadian and Newfoundland and Labrador legal systems and processes
- Knowledge of community and non-profit organizations and resources in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Proficiency in using Microsoft products (including Word, Outlook, Excel, and Access), Google products (including Google Calendar, Google Drive, and Google Documents), website management systems, and social media platforms
While not requirements, preference will be given to candidates who have completed legal education (or who have other legal experience) and candidates who have the ability to work in both French and English.
Travel may be required for this position. The successful candidate will be expected to apply for a Certificate of Conduct from the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary and to sign a confidentiality agreement.
To apply for this position, please submit a CV, covering letter, and contact information for 2 references to email@example.com by Friday, August 9 at 3 PM.
Interviews will be conducted between August 12 and August 23, and the position is expected to commence by the end of August. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary to be negotiated and will be commensurate with experience.
PLIAN is an equal opportunity employer and values creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position.