January 27, 2021
The Public Legal Information Association of NL is currently offering a free province wide legal support service for persons affected by the on-going COVID-19 Pandemic. This service will be available to persons who as a result of COVID-19 are now facing a legal issue. Some examples of eligible persons include the following situations:
- If you’ve lost work, or hours of work, or had a change at your employment due to COVID-19, you would be eligible for legal services.
- If you had to fire an employee due to the pandemic, this would also be eligible for legal services.
- If you cannot afford legal representation because of COVID-19 in an on-going civil dispute, you would also be eligible for legal services.
- If you have had your rights impacted by recent government orders, or for being denied services by a business due to COVID-19 related health and safety measures and are therefore eligible for support.
- If you are losing your house as a result of lost income because of COVID-19, you would be eligible.
This service provides eligible persons with up to 4 hours of free legal services from a lawyer in a particular area of law. This does not include court representation however. Areas of law that are eligible for this service include:
- Consumer Protection;
- Residential Tenancies/Housing (Landlord/Tenant Issues);
- Human Rights;
- Immigration; and
- Civil Litigation.
For more information, or to see if you qualify for the COVID-19 Legal Support Service, please contact us at either email@example.com or call us at (709) 722-2643 (Newfoundland); (709) 896-5235 (Labrador); or (888) 660-7788 (Toll Free).