The Public Legal Information Association of NL (PLIAN) is inviting applications for the contractual position of Legal Information Officer
The Legal Information Officer will work out of PLIAN’s St. John’s office and report to the Executive Director of PLIAN. The position will be on a contractual, part-time basis, anticipated to be between 15-20 hours a week. The specific schedule and hours of work will be determined in coordination with the Executive Director, other PLIAN staff, and the Legal Information Officer
The Legal Information Officer’s duties will include, but not be limited, to the following tasks:
– Answering legal information inquiries to PLIAN’s Legal Information Line via phone, email, and in person and providing referrals through PLIAN’s Lawyer Referral Service where requested.
– Conducting legal research to answer legal information inquiries from clients and to support the development of plain language legal information publications and presentations.
– Supporting other PLIAN staff to research, develop, write, and edit plain language legal publications and presentations on a variety of legal topics.
– Helping to maintain PLIAN’s social media accounts and website.
– Other duties as assigned by the PLIAN Executive Director or other PLIAN staff.
– Exceptional communication skills, professionalism, and ability to work independently.
– Experience working with members of the public.
– Knowledge of the Canadian and Newfoundland and Labrador legal systems and processes.
– Knowledge of community and non-profit organizations and resources in Newfoundland and Labrador.
– Proficiency in using Microsoft products (including Word, Outlook, Excel, and Access), Google products (including Google Calendar, Google Drive, and Google Documents), website management systems, and social media platforms.
While not requirements, preference will be given to candidates who have completed legal education (or who have other legal experience) and candidates who have the ability to work in both French and English.
The successful candidate will be expected to apply for a Certificate of Conduct from the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary and to sign a confidentiality agreement.
To apply for this position, please submit a CV, covering letter, and contact information for 2 references to email@example.com by the close of business on February 21, 2019.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Remuneration to be negotiated and will be commensurate with experience.
PLIAN is an equal opportunity employer and values creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position.